A porcelain factory was established at Gustavsberg in 1825 by Johan Herman Ohman on the site of a two hundred year old Stockholm brickworks. The production of bone china in the English style began in 1863 using clay imported from Cornwall. For more than 100 years, the firm produced high quality functional table wares and porcelain figures. During the 20th century, the primary output of the factory changed to bathroom fixtures and sanitary porcelain. Gustavsberg was acquired by Villeroy & Boch in 2000.
Relatively little is known of the majolica output from Gustavsberg. Both functional and decorative tablewares bearing the Gustavsberg mark are known. As with Rorstrand, the factory produced virtual copies of successful designs registered by the prominent English potters. Notable examples include reproductions of the bee skep cheese keeper by George Jones, a Wedgwood grape plate and Minton’s cat pitcher originally modeled by Paul Comolera.
The mark of Gustavsberg was first introduced in 1839 and is formed by the company name surmounting an anchor in a circular shape.
Antiques from Trilogy
Philppe Meunier & Juan-Alonso Defrocourt