Banks & Thorley
Edward Banks and Thomas Thorley established the Excelsior Works at the New Street Pottery in Hanley in 1873. They moved production to the newly constructed Boston Works on High Street in 1875. Following Thorley’s retirement in 1886, the firm was renamed Banks and Company, and subsequently as Edward Banks.
Banks & Thorley advertised majolica in the Pottery Gazette as late as 1886. Their most popular patterns were Basketweave & Bamboo and Fern & Bow. Pieces included a variety of tea items, graduated pitchers and baskets.
The pottery used no mark although some patterns have been identified by their British Registry Marks.
Antiques from Trilogy
Philppe Meunier & Juan-Alonso Defrocourt