In 1888, Julius Dressler founded a pottery factory in Biela, Bohemia specializing in majolica. Little is known of Dressler after 1910, although it appears the factory remained in existence until 1945.
Dressler produced some majolica with a matte surface in the same manner as Wilhelm Schiller. Also introduced were a series of pieces glazed in green, blue and brown with gold highlights. Dressler was clearly the leading Bohemian producer of majolica asparagus and berry servers. These included an elaborate tray with separate sauce pitcher. It is clear that Dressler embraced the Art Nouveau style in the design of many of these servers.
The mark of Julius Dressler appears as an impressed tower on a bed of rock with the letters ‘JDB’ below. Presumably the ‘B’ is for Biela. Some pieces are also marked ‘Austria’ and others carry only the Austria mark. Most also have a four digit pattern number.
Antiques from Trilogy
Philppe Meunier & Juan-Alonso Defrocourt