Porcelain was first produced at Worcester in 1751. After a succession of owners, Richard William Binns and W. H. Kerr became owners in 1852. Binns later served as Art Director of the firm under later owners until his retirement in 1897. Under Binns’ control, the number of employees increased from 80 to 800. In the 1850s, James Hadley joined the firm as an apprentice in the modelling department. By 1870 he had become the principal modeller and inscribed his name on the base of his master models. The firm remains in existence today.
The primary focus of Royal Worcester was porcelain and Parian wares. Some majolica was produced, although it was not advertised. No examples of majolica are listed in the Museum of Royal Worcester. Much of Worcester majolica is ornamental or figural although some functional wares such as pitchers and tea sets are known.
The Royal Worcester mark consists of an impressed rosette of four ‘W’s surrounding a ‘C’ and surmounted by a crown. Due to the complexity of the mark, it is often incompletely formed. Thus it may be overlooked.
Antiques from Trilogy
Philppe Meunier & Juan-Alonso Defrocourt