Jacques Chambrette established a pottery in Lunéville in 1731 producing French faience. The factory was located in a portion of the contested province of Lorraine that was not ceded to Germany following the Franco-Prussian War. In 1788 the Lunéville factory along with the nearby works at St. Clément were purchased by Keller and Guérin. Lunéville produced majolica for much of the second half of the nineteenth century and continued until the pottery closed in 1914.
Lunéville majolica is known for its bold colors, particularly turquoise and green. The pottery produced an astounding variety of asparagus and artichoke plates, servers and tureens in multiple patterns. Also known are tea and coffee services and oyster plates.
Majolica was frequently marked with an impressed ‘LUNEVILLE’ and often included ‘DEPOSE’ and ‘KG’ for Keller and Guérin.
Antiques from Trilogy
Philppe Meunier & Juan-Alonso Defrocourt