In 1877, Samuel Lear constructed a small pottery on Mayer Street in Hanley. The firm expanded into new premises on High Street in 1882 where majolica and other wares were produced. The business failed in 1886 and creditors closed both the Mayer Street and High Street Works. Thomas Forester purchased both potteries in 1887 although their subsequent disposition remains uncertain.
The known patterns of Lear include Sunflower and Urn, Lily of the Valley, and Pond Lily and Rope. None of these bear marks, but Lear majolica can be documented by illustrated advertisements in the Pottery Gazette. Some pieces bear a British Registry Mark on a typically white under-surface.
Antiques from Trilogy
Philppe Meunier & Juan-Alonso Defrocourt