A pottery was established by Jacques Chambrette in St. Clément in 1758 producing traditional French faience. The factory was a branch of Chambrette’s Luneville pottery, but was managed by his son-in-law Charles Loyal, Paul Louis Cyfflé, and architect Richard Mique. By the beginning of the nineteenth century, both concerns had been acquired by Keller and Guérin. St. Clément began producing majolica during the 1860s and continued for some forty years.
St. Clément majolica is characterized by subtle shadings of colors. Majolica pieces include a series of figural jugs including a rooster and an absinthe pitcher in the form of a duck with folded wings. The pottery also produced a variety of vases as well as asparagus and artichoke plates and servers.
Majolica was commonly marked with an impressed ‘SAINT CLEMENT’ and may also include the letters ‘KG’ for Keller and Guérin.
Antiques from Trilogy
Philppe Meunier & Juan-Alonso Defrocourt